




We just finished our last night of VBS tonight. Last Saturday was the Cactus Canyon Kickoff. That was registration day. You can see we had a lot going on in our little bitty parking lot. There was a pony, bobbing for apples, sack race, cake walk, face painting, popcorn, watermelon, western photos, hotdogs, lemonade, and lots of other games. I think it turned out well...and it was sweltering out there. Ron brought Kady for a little while, but it was too hot to stay for long. See her denim dress and cute little pink cowgirl hat? Wish I'd had some boots for her to wear...but it was too hot for shoes anyway.
I decided to TRY and teach the Pre-K class. Easy right?...Yeah right. My brain must have been on vacation when I agreed to that job...I had as many as 9 of those little boogers from ages 3-5. Next year my butt's going back in the kitchen and helping with crafts. If Karen hadn't been in the room with me I might have ended up curled in a little ball by the end of the first night. There aren't many activities you can do with that age group and have everyone participate.
If you've been to our church you know how small it is. There are only a handful of kids under 6th grade who are members. About 2/3 of our kids this week were visitors. That means I was a total stranger to most of them. I had one who was just mean as a snake. He didn't care who he hit with a stick or kicked in the leg...girls included...He never sat still. His parents are divorced and I think a lot of his aggressive behavior may have come from no male influence in the home. His grandparents are members of our church and were bringing him. I hope he was able to grasp the concepts I was trying to teach them this week. I just kept telling myself "Jesus loves him too...yes even him"... Another little boy was sweet...but very energetic. We would be playing a game as a group and he'd be running around us (and through us and under us) in circles. He never stopped. Wore me out trying to catch him from running to who-knows-where all the time. Seems like I never could find anything they all liked and would actually participate in except coloring pages and food.
For example, one of the suggested activities in the teacher's book was to make "bible clothes" out of a man's white undershirt and a tie (for the sash). I bought the shirts and got some scrap material (instead of a tie) and wrapped it around their waists. They loved it...until one of the boys said, "This is just like what I wear to karate!"....Then suddenly the "Jesus clothes" became "Ninja clothes". About the time we're walking into music class that mean little booger I mentioned earlier decides to try and karate kick the 4 year old girl in front of him. I thought her 5 year old brother (who was also in the class) was going to beat the crap out of him. Great. Now I have to break up a fight and poor Mrs. Diane has 6 other crazy ninjas saying "Hi-ya!" instead of "Yeehaw!"
This Sunday night is commencement night. Hope I can keep my sanity long enough to get through it. Pray for us! Maybe no one will get karate chopped....*sigh*


3 comments:
Don't worry Stac, you'll make it. You will just need about a week to recuperate!!!!! I do truly believe that some of these kids are meaner than they used to be.
Now I remember why I don't teach Bible School anymore. But I do love my Awana kids. Keep up the good work. I know there's a special reward for anybody who teaches Bible School.
Love,
Mom
Sorry you had such a bad time. Just remember, it's eternal rewards not earthly rewards!!!! You made it through and you never know what kind of Godly impact you made! You may never know this side of heaven!! I think of the song "Thank You" by Ray Boltz.
Post a Comment